Sunday, September 19, 2010

Innocence is Children

We all know that Charolettes Web is a wonderful story, about a pig named Wilbur, and a spider named Charolette. In it, I found a chapter (11 I think) in which Fern and her brother play in uncle Homers barn all day. They swing on a rope swing for countless hours, just enjoying life. At first, I thought the chapter was just about them breaking the gooses' rotten egg, which saves Charolette, but after looking over my annotations and the chapter its self, I found it was about something more. The innocence of children. This beautiful chapter I feel does nothing to push the story along, but shows how wonderful it is to be a kid. It made me, a 13 year old, wish I was 8, and could relive those days in which homework was drawing pictures, and school had free time and nap time. I would kill, well no not really, for nap time in middle school. How beautiful farm life must be at a young age, how innocent a child flying on a swing must look to an adult. I feel this chapter splits Charolettes web into two books. Charolettes web, and the book I call, "Boy I wish my childhood was that good". Intentional or not, this chapter is the best part of the book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment