Thursday, April 28, 2011

I want to be a fireman!

In childhood, we all want to be famous, or something along those lines. A famous chef, a famous doctor, a famous musician, a famous athlete. The possibilities are endless. In the very start of a book I am reading called Saturday by Ian Mcewan. The book starts off with a day in the life of a neurosurgeon, who goes from surgery to surgery like he's a fat kid in a candy store. We soon meet his son, Theo (what a coincidence) who is in a minor London indie blues band. It shows the almost awkward father and son bond they have acquired due to the difference in their careers.

They get only about two minutes of conversation out of a airplane that recently flew by their house in flames. They have no bonds whatsoever. I thought about it in my life. Not how my father is a musician and I will never amount to anything in the world of music, but in the way that we will all soon be going off to high school, and most friendships will be broken, due to the fact that people are going to all different schools.

For some reason, the fickle condition of the human mind, will in most situations stop people from making or keeping friends who do not go to the same school, or are in the same line of work. I know that you don't always have much bonding time when you are not in the same place 7 - 9 hours a day. I simply don't think that statistic stops people from keeping friends who they have known for years.

Strong bonds shouldn't break.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your last sentence.. I think that statistics shouldn't stop telling people what to do only because is scientific. Good job theo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you started saying at the end was probably the highlight of your post and I remember I actually thought about that for a couple days when I realized we had just handed in our high school applications. Nice job connecting it to our regular lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, statistics are ravenous and eat until satisfied. They hold no regard for naivety or for already dieing childhood dreams. Yes, numbers can be cruel but one can easily find comfort in their strictness.
    I am a pessimist. Since 6th grade, Emmie and I have occasionally wondered aloud how many months it would take for the others' existence to fade from our minds. I don't mind it, it's nice actually. Dreams are much more painful when broken (yes, cliche but true) therefore, I find it to be more mentally healthy to think of achievable tasks.
    I'm pretty sure that I'll forget the names of half of the folks I've meet during these past 3 years within a few months.
    But, optimistic Theo, dream on. I support an occasional attempt to defy numbers.

    Oh, and, a more relevant response, you may want to make sure that you don't lose your initial idea while writing.

    -Txai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post Theo. I am inclined to agree that strong bonds not only shouldn't break, but don't have to break, if you are willing to put in a bit of effort. Some people **Cough** Txai **Cough** seam to think that it is nearly impossible to not separate from people if you go to a different school.I have four friends who I have known since kindergarden. All of these people went to mark twain. They all also live a subway ride away. There is no situation in which I am scheduled to regularly see them. I am still incredibly close with all of them because I didn't want to lose touch with them. To speak of staying close with someone you don't go to school/work with like it is defying gravity is just inaccurate. It may take a bit of effort but it is not in any way impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can't change these things theo. friendships just will break when people go to different schools. the strong bonds won't break. we make a decision to drift apart but many see it as a natural thing.

    ReplyDelete