Thursday, April 7, 2011

Funny accents make funny books

We all know the British accent. That hilarious touch that makes the Brits so novel. In a world of English, they are the ones that make us laugh. The comedians. Not the really good ones that are gut wrenching funny, but the ones that are so bad that we don't feel sorry for them, we just laugh at their efforts. Of course, all of this is relevant to both the fact that I am English, and that the book I'm reading which is called White Teeth, has British people with accents in it.

 White teeth mixes humor, with the utter fact that in life, we can't resist the many deadly sins, (for their are more then seven) and morphine is totally bad ass. I'll touch on that in a moment. Basically for me, this book is no walk in the park. The language is complicated, the plot is tough to follow, but every single time I hear Archie say the words "init" or "'pose so" I just laugh a little inside. Do English people actually deny common sense, and completely ignore certain letters, or are they just a little dull? One things for sure, they're really good at football. Don't quite know where that came from.

The English Colloquies, or at least I think that's the word for a certain area's speech habits (Vocab test tomorrow), are freaking hilarious. Someone once said that you need to laugh at your self a little, but laughing at other people is just great. Laugh at the English.

But don't mention Morphine, it's a touchy subject.

1 comment:

  1. The Seven deadly sins, where did I hear that? Oh right my blog...
    Anyway I completely agree with you tittle. But I do think that you could have gone much deeper with your thinking. I think you just staid on the surface.

    ReplyDelete